Search This Blog

Sunday 13 July 2008

SO FAREWELL, BUT NOT FOR LONG

As many of you in Swaziland know, I am leaving the kingdom for good this week.

(I fly out on Wednesday afternoon if you want to wave your tears sodden hankies at my plane).

I am not being forced out by the status quo, nor has my employer, the University of Swaziland (UNISWA), sacked me. I have decided not to renew my contract at the university because there is not much point my being there.

But I don’t want to write today about UNISWA (I am presently writing an academic paper on UNISWA and if it gets published I’ll let you know).

Since people found out I was leaving they have asked me what is going to happen to the blog.

My most common answer to this question is don’t worry about my blog, start one of your own.

I am however going to try to continue with Swazi Media Commentary, but because I will no longer be based in Swaziland it will be more difficult for me to get information to post.

Some people have offered to keep me informed of what’s going on in Swaziland and I appreciate that. If anyone has any news, information etc that they think will look good on the blog send it to me at Swazimedia@yahoo.com

Let’s try to keep the blog going as long as people find it useful.

So farewell for now. I’m going back to my home in the United Kingdom and then on holiday.

The blog will return on 11 August 2008.

3 comments:

swazi solidarity said...

Richard,

Safe travel as you head back to the UK.

Many of us have appreciated your blog and understand it as a fine example of individual initiative.

Thanks for your daily contributions to freedom of speech in Sd.

Will said...

You're leaving? But I just discovered your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey Richard, it now may be a little less difficult following the Swazi news. The Swazi Times seem to have made a some change this past weekend.

There is a new format and it looks like all on-line articles will be archived starting from July 19, 2008!

Of course, this won't help all the ailments at the Times but at least readers will have more then 24 hours access to the news.